- Titre: Challenges of Sustainable and Commercial Aquaponics
- Auteur: Goddek, Simon; Delaide, Boris; Mankasingh, Utra; Vala Ragnarsdottir, Kristin; Jijakli, Haissam; Thorarinsdottir, Ragnheidur
- Date de publication: 2015-04-10
- Résumé: The world is facing a number of serious problems of which population rise, climate change, soil degradation, water scarcity and food security are among the most important. Aquaponics, as a closed loop system consisting of hydroponics and aquaculture elements, could contribute to addressing these problems. However, there is a lack of quantitative research to support the development of economically feasible aquaponics systems. Although many studies have addressed some scientific aspects, there has been limited focus on commercial implementation. In this review paper, opportunities that have the potential to fill the gap between research and implementation of commercial aquaponic systems have been identified. The analysis shows that aquaponics is capable of being an important driver for the development of integrated food production systems. Arid regions suffering from water stress will particularly benefit from this technology being operated in a commercial environment.
- Lien: http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/