The Unit of Biological and Industrial Chemistry at Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech (University of Liège) is engaged in research and education in the fields of biological chemistry, biorefining and industrial technologies.
Our aim is to be at the forefront of the revolution of the biorefinery concept. Our academics and researchers are involved in several projects and in industrial collaborations, specializing in the following areas:
- Optimized use of biomass for food, chemicals and fuels.
- Pretreatments and cracking of lignocellulosic biomass, cellulose hydrolysis, hemicellulose and lignin extraction and characterization.
- Green chemistry and development of new methodologies with low environmental footprints.
- Study of structure-function relationships of biomolecules : oligo- and polysaccharides, sugars derivatives, lipopeptides, surfactants, …
- Functional analyses of industrial processes.